Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Home.

A relative of my husband's called us today and invited us to their party. They were having a celebration for their daughter who graduated from college. It wasn't a hit for me right away since my husband can't to go because of his work. My parents-in-law were not insistent for me to go with them maybe because they didn't want to put me in a spot where I'll be just forced to go. My in-laws are very much supportive to me by the way. Both of them I can see that they wanted to be available for me as much as they can. When I have commitments or job interviews, aside from my husband, my mother-in-law is always willing to drive for me. There was never a time that I heard a complain nor an unwillingness on her part. I know, I am so blessed with that area. However I can't wait for my freedom as I am in a process of getting my driver's permit. In the mean time I am dependent to them.

Today I decided to go with my in- laws. I am happy with that decision. Even if they were not insistent, the moment I told them that I am going they were happy. Their faces lit up. When we got to the place, the usual set up, I was introduced to the aunties and uncles. I am always shy and reserve but I was all smiles at the party. I can't let them down. I am always used to people that I know already but that won't work here in the States. Anyway the food was good. We had bina-go-ongan, pansit, lumpia, and other filipino dishes that I was supposed to try but didn't because I got easily full. People there were busy catching up. I heard laughters and coughing. Obviously most of them were too old to be there but went anyway since the food was free and they were invited as well. I was there seated but very observant. Back in the Philippines, my family are like this too, I told myself. I am happy. Some of them were trying to engage me in a conversation. I was a little bit hesitant because I can't understand their dialect. They were speaking in ilocano while my response were tagalog. I understood few words but mostly I understood their body language. Watching them was all fun. It gave me the almost exact scenario of a family gathering that I'm used to. I believe that everything that were visible to me at that time were nothing compared to the invisible from the naked eye. To know that I belong in this family is more significant. When we were about to leave they prepared us some food to bring home. They sent us food packed in styrofoams. It was wonderful.

No comments: