Friday, June 20, 2008

Isn't it Ironic?

Different countries are distinct by their culture, weather, laws, and many more. What is common to one country will be authentic to another country. Asians can’t live without rice while other ethnicity can.

“Do you dance ti-nik-ling?” An american friend once asked me. For me that was a surprise. If I say ” I do” my answer will not help her understand. I thought even giving her a simple nod wasn’t enough. I know her inquiry was plain out of curiosity but to me I feel like it was a good question that needs to have a good answer. I remember last year I took a vocational course in San Diego. Half of my classmates were hispanic. Most of them introduced me to tacos, asada, nachos, tortilla, relleno, jalapeno, and to cilantro. In a month’s time I fell in love with the food. In that 6 months being with them I gained a lot of ‘new’ friends and I gained some weight too. I had fun with them truly I cannot forget. One time I asked my mexican friend if she can show me some steps of their traditional dance hoping she can teach me. When she heard that she was a little embarassed as her face turned a little bit red then I heard her laugh. She explained to me that it doesn’t mean that she is mexican she should know their traditional dance. She was born in Tijuana, Mexico but migrated to the U.S. with her family at the age of 4. She said that most of her life was exposed to the culture here in the states than practicing their own culture. If you still remember that american friend of mine who once asked me, that was the answer I have for her.

No comments: