Monday, June 23, 2008

Pay it forward----

“Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.” It’s a golden rule. Every time I read or hear this line it strikes me not because I don’t try to do good it’s because most of the time I fail to do so. I was watching this t.v. show called, “Extreme Makeover Home Edition”. Their show offers goodwill through building a new home for a family that has been a victim of violence, calamities, or any tragic event in their lives. I like the show because they are making a difference in the primetime television. Maybe not all viewers embraced the concept but it seems the show is doing good as they were celebrating their 100th home makeover. For this particular show that I am watching, they invited families who were part of the show from their previous episodes. They were the families that were given a new home and mind you, it's not just an ordinary home, they gave these families their dream home. It is the show's idea to help these people build their lives once again and hopefully help others in return in any way. What I like about the show is that they bring back people together as a family and become a new person for themselves. There was one particular father that was interviewed. He has a family of his own yet he keeps on helping kids that were abandoned in his community. He helps by feeding, counseling, and just be available to them in any way along with his family. In the later part, I found out that he was the 33rd family that was given a new home. The interviewer asked him, “Why are you doing this?” and he tearfully answered, “…because you gave me a house to do it”.

God is good. It’s good to be alive.

No comments: